Hillary Clinton is not “the lesser of two evils.” To call her such is plainly offensive. To lump her in with a racist, sexist, sociopathic egomaniac who doesn’t even understand how American government works is offensive. It is a shame she doesn’t have a respectable opponent to run against, because that may have actually allowed the American people to hear about her policies instead of her emails. Since the media has opted to spend so little time on policy, here are some of the policies HRC hopes to enact as president (and why I support her):
- 12 weeks paid family leave and medical leave: Did you know that only four countries in the entire world (THE ENTIRE WORLD) don’t offer federally paid family leave? Want to guess what they are? Here, let me help. They are: Swaziland, Liberia, Papua New Guinea, annnnnnd the fucking United States of America. Can you believe that? We are the only industrialized country IN THE WORLD that doesn’t offer paid family leave. Hillary Clinton wants the American people to have it.
- Childcare subsidies: Clinton wants to cap childcare costs at 10% of a family’s income. According to the Washington Post, “average child-care costs in the United States devour at least 30 percent of a minimum-wage worker’s earnings in every state.” She also wants to provide universal access to pre-K for 4 year olds.
- Tuition-free state college: HRC wants students from families making less than $85,000 a year to be able to attend an in-state four year public college without paying tuition. By 2021, she wants to extend that to families making less than $125,000 a year. She also wants all community colleges to offer free tuition.
- Gun control: No, she isn’t going to repeal the 2nd Amendment (the President can’t just get rid of an amendment) and she isn’t trying to steal your gun, though I would support her if she did. But what HRC does want to do is expand background checks and fight to make it possible for victims to actually hold the gun lobby accountable.
- Mental health: HRC thinks mental health care is as important as physical health care, and she wants healthcare providers to treat the whole person. She wants to increase investment in drug courts and funding to train law enforcement officers on crisis intervention.
- Women’s rights: HRC will work to close the pay gap. She will protect women’s reproductive and health rights. She will continue to support Planned Parenthood. She will address violence against women by taking a stand on campus sexual assault and gun violence.
These are only a few of the policy issues that Hillary Clinton cares about AND has plans for. I encourage you to see the longer list on her website and educate yourself on her policies, because that is what makes up a presidency.